TENCEL® is not only an extremely eco friendly, renewable fiber, but the fabrics created with it are among the softest and most high performance in moisture management to keep you cool, healthy and comfortable.
Soft, fluid and natural, VYAYAMA's debut capsule of KALABLAK™ and SHADOW PRINT pieces are made from a luxurious blend of TENCEL® and Italian elastane.
TENCEL® is not a new fibre and has many amazing properties, but has rarely been used as a technically supportive fabric. Achieving the balance of softness with great compression that was just right for our unique yoga separates, took us a year of development to perfect with our fabric team in Portugal.
All of our TENCEL® fabric is certified by Oekotex to European standards of health for wearer and kindness to the environment.
A quick guide to TENCEL®:
Comfortable: Soft, breathable, lightweight and gentle against the body.
Lasting: Shrink-resistant, durable and easy to care for. TENCEL® is an exceptionally strong fiber, both wet and dry.
Color rich: TENCEL® was created with color in mind, because of the fibers' high absorbency. The fabrics can be dyed to high quality standards.
Easy to maintain: TENCEL® garments are easy to pack, resist wrinkling, are machine washable and dry quickly.
Made from the natural cellulose found in eucalyptus wood pulp. The fiber is economical in its use of energy and natural resources, and is fully biodegradable.
Why did the team at VYAYAMA choose TENCEL®?
We started our journey at VYAYAMA looking for:
- A fabric for yoga separates that dyes and retains the deepest blackest black
- A search for a luxe feeling, high performing, sustainable fabric, with as small an environmentally footprint as possible, as an alternative to Nylon
What's wrong with Nylon?
- Chemically treated synthetic fabrics are a source of toxins that can adversely affect your health and the health of the planet.
- Nylon is made from petroleum and is often given a permanent chemical finish which can be harmful to the wearer when absorbed by the skin.
- This petroleum based fibre receives heavy chemical treatments such as caustic soda, sulfuric acid and formaldehyde during its manufacturing. Moreover, the fabric receives a combination of bleaching and softer agents such as chloroform, limonene, pentene and terpineol.
- Because of this reason, Nylon is one of the least eco-friendly textiles and even after the manufacture process finished, the fabric still retains toxic residues that can be harmful to people’s health.
- Nylon's manufacture produces nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas nearly 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide.}
What's is TENCEL®?
- TENCEL® is the trademarked name for Lyocell. Lyocell is a botanic fibre, made of fast growing eucalyptus trees from South Africa.
- The South African wood is Forest Stewardship Council certified, TENCEL® is committed to using sustainable forest products and partner with non profit group Canopy.
- The pulping is done in an energy efficient plant in Austria and the fibre is closed loop, meaning that most all solvents and water from the process are recycled.
- At the fibre stage TENCEL® is free of hazardous chemicals as certified by the European Oekotex standard.
- TENCEL® was developed twenty years ago as an eco friendly alternative to rayon.
What's so special about TENCEL®?
- Textiles of TENCEL® are more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk and cooler than linen.
- Due to the smooth structure of the TENCEL® fiber, materials are particularly silky and gentle on the skin, earning it the title 'softer than silk'.
- TENCEL® deals with moisture like no other. The fiber absorbs moisture completely and then naturally releases it to the outside.
- TENCEL® is naturally Anti Bacterial and Hypo Allergenic.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT TENCEL® VISIT LENZING.